College Football News Preview 2021: Previewing, predicting, and looking ahead to the UTEP season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Keys To The Season
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– UTEP Miners Schedule Analysis
– UTEP Miners Previews
2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
UTEP Miners College Football Preview 2021: Offense
– The offense had some fun running the ball, it showed more of a spark than it had in several years, and now it welcomes back most of the key parts. It wasn’t always pretty – the Miners averaged just 348 yards and 23 points per game – but there were positives.
– Again, the running game was a plus, and it will be again. Leading rusher Deion Hankins pounded out 592 yards and nine touchdowns, and there’s a deep group coming back to help him out in the rotation. That includes Quardraiz Wadley, the 2018 leading rusher who only played in one game last season.
They’ll all work behind an offensive line that might not be a wall in pass protection, but it’s full of veterans working around 6-4, 310-pound junior guard Bobby DeHaro.
– Steady quarterback play isn’t a given at UTEP over the years. Sophomore Gavin Hardison isn’t Trevor Lawrence, but he was okay in 2020 hitting 54% of his passes for just over 1,400 yards with five scores and five picks, and he’s experienced.
He’s got the 1-2 receiving punch of Jacob Cowing and Justin Garrett to throw to – the two combined for 79 catches and six scores. It’s not the deep group like the running back situation is, but it’s solid up top.