4. College Football News Preview 2020: North Carolina Tar Heels Defense 3 Things To Know
– The defense has more work to do than the offensive side, but it’s still going to be a good group returning after finishing sixth in the ACC in total defense and fourth in scoring D. Four of the top seven tacklers are gone, but there’s a whole lot of talent and young depth to work around.
– The biggest early issue is defensive tackle with Jason Strowbridge and Aaron Crawford gone. There will be some experimenting on the inside, but there’s plenty over versatility along the front three. 280-pounders Raymond Vohasek and Tomari Fox can play jus about any of the three spots, and 300-pound sophomore Jalil Taylor should be ready to play a bigger role.
– Chazz Surratt came to North Carolina as a promising passer, and he has turned into a great pro prospect as a do-it-all inside linebacker. The four linebackers will have more work to do behind the rebuilding line, but Surratt and junior Jeremiah Gemmel are all-star tacklers to go along with 260-pound senior Tomori Fox on the outside.
– The secondary wasn’t always a rock, but it was great at picking off passes. It was strangely ripped up at odd times, but when it came up with multiple interceptions, good things happened – more on that in the keys to the season.
It was a bit of a building job at corner last season, and now it should pay off with Storm Duck and Trey Morrison back after going through the growing pains. They’re good, getting Myles Wolfolk back after what was termed an upper body injury is big, and there’s enough talent and depth for all five spots to fill in the gaps.