CFN Historical Season Rankings Formula
1. Wins. Obviously, winning matters. Just win lots of games, and all is fine. 1 point per win.
2. Ties. Yeah, there used to be those. 0.5 points per tie.
3. Quality Wins. The wins over the good teams. 1 point per win over a team that finished with a winning record.
4. Elite Wins. The wins over the great teams. 1 point per home win over a team that finished with two losses, or a road, bowl, or neutral site win over a team that finished with three losses. An extra 0.5 added to a road win over a team that finished with two losses.
5. Bad Losses. The soul-crushers. -1 point per loss to a non-FBS/D-I team, or a team that finished with three wins or fewer. An extra 0.5 is added to a home loss to a “bad” team.
6. Bad Wins. The layups. -0.25 for a win over a team that finished with three losses or fewer.
7. Elite Losses. The forgivable defeats. 0.25 added for a loss to a team that finished with two losses of fewer.
8. Point Differential. They keep score for a reason. Points scored minus points against divided by 100.
9. Winning Percentage. A sort of tie-breaker, taking into account how good the season was beyond the raw wins and loss.