Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Marshall Thundering Herd season with what you need to know.
2018 Record: 9-4 overall, 6-2 in Conference USA
Head Coach: Doc Holliday. 10th year, 70-46
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MARSHALL OFFENSE
– The offense was fine, but it didn’t do enough to help out the solid defense. The Herd averaged an okay 394 yards and 28 points per game, but now almost all of the parts are back to be more consistent and more explosive, starting with …
– Isaiah Green needs to be sharper. The sophomore pushed past strong transfer Alex Thomson for the starting job, and he only completed 57% of his throws with 15 scores and ten picks, However, he put up big yards with 200 or more in the seven of the ten games he played in, and now he knows what he’s doing. Now he needs …
– The receiving corps has to rise up. The Herd lose leading target Tyre Brady and deep threat Marcel Williams, but 6-3, 216-pound Obi Obialo is a good veteran who finished second on the team with 42 catches for 505 yards and four scores.
Getting Tavin Richardson as a grad transfer from Kentucky helps, and the tight end situation is strong with Armani Levias in after catching 25 passes with three scores, and Xavier Gaines a dangerous deep targets averaging over 16 yards per grab.
– The rushing offense had its moments, and it closed with a bang. The top backs return, with Tyler King a quick slasher who averaged over six yards per carry on his 655 yards, and 223-pound sophomore Brenden Knox providing some pop with 578 yards averaging over six yards per try. King might have led the team, but it was Knox who was the star over the late part of the season with all his yards over the final five games.
– Theres’s a chance the line is the best in Conference USA, or close to it after being among the league leaders in fewest sacks and tackles for loss allowed. It starts with getting back all-star Levi Brown at center, and then there’s a little shuffling. Junior Tarik Adams will stick at one tackle spot, and 300-pound junior Will Ulmer will see time somewhere on the left side.