Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Pitt Panthers season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Key Players, Games, Stats
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– Recruiting Class Analysis | Schedule Analysis
– Pitt Previews 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
2018 Record: 7-7 overall, 6-2 in ACC
Head Coach: Pat Narduzzi, 5th year, 28-24
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE PITT OFFENSE
– When the offense was running wild, the offense clicked and the home runs were coming in bunches. The ground game wasn’t consistent, but it averaged 228 yards per game and exploded over a midseason stretch on the way to the Coastal title. Now it has to be more consistent under new offensive coordinator and former UMass head coach Mark Whipple.
– 1,000-yard backs Qadree Ollison and Darrin Hall are done, and now it’ll be a running back by committee situation with several young parts getting their shot. True freshmen Daniel Carter and Vincent Davis will be in the mix right away, but junior AJ Davis is No. 1 man going into fall camp behind a line that has to replace four starters after struggling way too much in pass protection.
– QB Kenny Pickett and the passing attack have to be stronger. The young star of the late part of 2018 ran okay, but he wasn’t efficient enough at getting the ball down the field. Redshirt freshman Nick Patti and true frosh Davis Beville will each get their chance to push out the incumbent.
– The receiving corps has to be better, too. Four of the top five targets are back including do-it-all playmaker Maurice Ffrench and big play target and leading receiver – with just 25 catches for 557 yards and a score – Taysir Mack. Get ready for this young group to explode under Whipple.