Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Old Dominion Monarchs season with what you need to know.
2018 Record: 4-8 overall, 2-6 in Conference USA
Head Coach: Bobby Wilder, 11th year, 76-45
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE OLD DOMINION OFFENSE
– The offense wasn’t all that bad. It averaged 428 yards per game with a big passing offense that offset 1) a bad defense, meaning the O had to keep up, and 2) a mediocre ground game. But QB Blake LaRussa decided to leave the football world and focus on seminary school. Fortunately, veteran Steven Williams is back, and Michigan State/JUCO transfer Messiah deWeaver is a potentially dangerous option.
– The top three receivers are gone – including 1,000-yard producers Travis Fulgham and Jonathan Duhart – and TE Keion White is moving to the defensive side. That means the leading receiving wide receiver – senior Darrell Brown – caught nine passes. This is where JUCO transfer Frederik Antoine has to play a role.
– The running back corps is thin. The idea is to start running a whole lot more – and get more out of the quarterback on the ground – needing Kesean Strong to do more than the team-high 499 yards and nine scores with Jeremy Cox done. The bigger problem is …
– The offensive line needs some reworking after struggling in pass protection. Two parts are gone in the interior, and there’s some shuffling going on to find the right pieces inside.
The recruiting class has to play a role, junior Isaac Weaver has to settle in at either guard or his normal tackle spot, and the depth needs more time and developing.