Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Kent State Golden Flashes season with what you need to know.
2018 Record: 2-10 overall, 1-7 in MAC
Head Coach: Sean Lewis, 2nd year, 2-10
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE KENT STATE OFFENSE
– It might not have seemed like it, but there really was an improvement in the Kent State offense. The FlashFast style might have have had a hard time controlling games or showing off too much flash, but there were signs of life after the program scored just 153 points in 2017.
– The next step forward comes this year with almost all of the parts back. It starts in the backfield, where former Auburn transfer Woody Barrett set single-season passing records, but it was a wildly inefficient and inconsistent passing game.
– Five of the top six receivers are back, starting with leading yardage guy Mike Carrigan and top receiver Antwan Dixon. Barrett should be able to spread the ball around, but the big plays have to start coming.
– Not only do all five starters return on the offensive line, and there’s decent depth. Now the line has to keep defenses out of the backfield after getting hammered time and time again by anyone who tried to get behind the line. Second-leading rusher Justin Rankin is gone, but speedster Will Matthews is back as the lightning, and 230-pound Jo-El- Shaw will pound with the thunder.