Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Eastern Michigan Eagles season with what you need to know.
2018 Record: 7-6 overall, 5-3 in MAC
Head Coach: Chris Creighton, 5th year, 22-40
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE EASTERN MICHIGAN OFFENSE
– The offense didn’t run well enough, and it wasn’t explosive, but at least it was consistent, scoring 20 points or more in every game but one. The problem? The O only put more than 28 against one FBS team. Only seven starters are back, but there’s hope for the passing game because …
– Seven of the top eight receivers/tight ends return. Leading receiver Blake Banham is done, but Arthur Jackson is aback after coming up with 46 catches with five scores, and senior Mathew Sexton is a decent veteran. Throw in tight ends Gunnar Oakes and Gunnar Oakes, and the Eagles have options for …
– Mike Glass should be ready to be the main man at QB. The 6-0, 212-pound senior threw nine touchdown passes with a pick when it got got his shot in place of Tyler Wiegers, and he can run, too. Junior Isaac Stiebeling has good size and pro-style passing skills as the backup.
– The running game might not have been amazing, but again, Glass can run, and leading rusher Shaq Vann is back after running for 590 yards and five scores.
There’s speed with Willie Parker and depth with Breck Turner in the rotation, but they need the line to do its part. The tackle situation is fine with Sidy Sow and Steve Nielsen two huge veterans, but the entire starting interior has to be replaced.