Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Auburn Tigers season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Key Players, Games, Stats
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– Recruiting Class Analysis | Schedule Analysis
– Auburn Previews 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
2018 Record: 8-5 overall, 3-5 in SEC
Head Coach: Gus Malzahn, 7th year, 53-27
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE AUBURN OFFENSE
– It was a strange, strange season for an offense that’s supposed to be among the most dangerous and unstoppable year after year, but it finished 11th in the SEC averaging just 390 yards per game. There were three major explosions, but take out the 179 points scored in wins over Alabama State, Liberty, and Purdue, and the O averaged 22 points per game and only scored more than 30 points against Ole Miss and Arkansas. But it’s going to be better, and why? …
– The offensive line should be stronger. A rocky part of the puzzle throughout last season, the line didn’t do nearly enough for the running game but was okay in pass protection. This time around it’s a veteran bunch that might not be special, and there might not be any superstars, but is loaded with five senior starters. If nothing else, it’s going to be a steadier unit that won’t be a concern. Now the skill guys have to come through.
– The running game sputtered and coughed way too often – it failed to hit the 100-yard mark four times – but JaTarvious Whitlow and Kam Martin are too good not to do far more behind the veteran line. With the good backs, and a good young receiving corps that should have no problems overcoming the loss of the top two targets from last year, and there’s plenty of hope for a more fun overall season from the O as long as the quarterback play is fine.
– Jarrett Stidham was good enough for Bill Belichick, but he wasn’t good enough to be turned loose last year for a passing game that wasn’t efficient enough and finished ninth in the SEC. Stidham might be gone being a New England Patriot, but the quarterback situation is potentially great with super-recruit Bo Nix way too good not to step in and produce right away. If it’s not Nix, prototype talent Joey Gatewood will get the call, with the possibility the both players see playing time.