Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the Vanderbilt season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Key Players, Games, Stats
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– Recruiting Class Analysis | Schedule Analysis
– Vanderbilt Previews 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
2018 Record: 6-7 overall, 3-5 in SEC
Head Coach: Derek Mason, 6th year: 24–38
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE VANDERBILT OFFENSE
– The offense that last season relied so much on QB Kyle Shurmur will work a bit more around Ke’Shawn Vaughn and a terrific running game that averaged over five yards per carry. However, the O line has to come together in a hurry after losing three starters and needing depth and options to rise up in the interior. The pass protection was strong, and it needs to be again.
– Ball State transfer Riley Neal is a good veteran with the skills to be a more than adequate replacement for Shurmur. The Commodores have other quarterback options ready to be a part of the mix, but the 6-5, 218-pound Neal is the experienced option with the arm and upside to keep the Commodores averaging over 240 yards per game through the air. It will help that …
– The receiving corps is solid. Getting TE Jared Pinkney back for another season is a big help, and the emergence last season of Kalija Lipscomb and CJ Bolar provide enough options to spread the ball around. The running backs can catch, too.