Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the South Carolina season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Key Players, Games, Stats
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– Recruiting Class Analysis | Schedule Analysis
– USC Previews 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
2018 Record: 7-6 overall, 4-4 in SEC
Head Coach: Will Muschamp. 4th year, 22-17
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SOUTH CAROLINA OFFENSE
– The offense was just okay at cranking up the yards, but there wasn’t enough of a scoring punch, the ground game was too light, and and the passing attack wasn’t efficient enough. With seven starters returning and decent depth at most spots, this is when the Gamecocks need to have an O that’s more than just along for the ride.
– Jake Bentley has been an underappreciated SEC quarterback star. Okay, star might be a little bit of an overstatement, but he’s steady, he has improved, and he has had to carry the offense on his shoulders. If he can slow down on the interceptions, the passing game should do far more despite the loss of Deebo Samuel.
– Bryan Edwards is a true No. 1 caliber receiver, and Shi Smith and OrTre Smith are more than just complementary targets. TE Kiel Pollard needs to be a bigger part of the attack after catching 15 passes last season.
– And then there’s the ground game. Rico Dowdle is a decent veteran back who led the team with 654 yards, and there’s depth behind with seniors Mon Denson and AJ Turner reliable enough to count on. The backs will be fine, and the retooled and rebuild offensive line will be okay, but the depth is a bit thin up front.