Preview 2019: Previewing and looking ahead to the NC State season with what you need to know.
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
– Top Players | Key Players, Games, Stats
– What Will Happen, Win Total Prediction
– Recruiting Class Analysis | Schedule Analysis
– NC State Previews 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
2018 Record: 9-4 overall, 5-3 in ACC
Head Coach: Dave Doeren, 7th year: 43-34
5. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NC STATE OFFENSE
– The balance has to return. It was way too easy to rely on QB Ryan Finley and the passing game last season – and it worked. The offense was great at keeping drives going, the passing attack averaged over 300 yards per game, and its star was able to control things. But the ground game suffered, and now there’s going to be more work for the backs until the new parts of the passing game are ready.
– Finley is gone, but the quarterback options are promising. Sophomore Matt McKay stepped up in spring ball, but there are others in the mix – they’ll all be okay at worst. Losing top targets Kelvin Harmon and Jakobi Meyers hurts, but Emeka Emezie leads a promising young corps with enough talent to be fine as long as the quarterback play is solid.
– The big losses at the skill spots shouldn’t be that big a deal, but the guys on the line will be tougher to replace. Garrett Bradbury was a star center for a front five that has to replace three starters. The pass protection was special last season – Finley and the offensive scheme had a lot to do with that – but as long as the line is pounding away for the ground game early on, it’ll be doing its job. Losing RB Reggie Gallaspy and his 18 rushing scores doesn’t help, but Ricky Person leads a sound young group of backs. Remember the name Zonovan Knight.