Syracuse (11-5) vs. Duke (14-1) basketball fearless prediction and game preview.
Date: Monday, January 14
Game Time: 7:00 ET
Venue: Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, NC
What’s Going To Happen
– So how does Duke get geared up again after that against Florida State? The Blue Devils survived on a late three from Cam Reddish, but it was RJ Barrett’s day with 32 points. Now it’s up to the Syracuse D to slow down the machine that might be without Zion Williamson after getting poked in the eye.
– This is an okay Orange team that got its doors blown off by Georgia Tech on Saturday in a 73-59 loss. The D melted down in the second half and couldn’t handle anything the Yellow Jackets did inside. Uh-oh.
– Normally, though, the Syracuse defense is more than fine. As always, the Orange are great at attacking the ball and forcing mistakes. They’re allowing just 62 points per game, but if this gets into any sort of a track meet, it won’t be pretty.
– There’s just not enough interior offense from Syracuse. Either it’s hitting from three, or it’s dead. The problem? It takes the threes, it just doesn’t make them. Considering there’s nothing about to happen inside against this Duke defense, this could get ugly fast against a Blue Devil defense that’s allowing teams to hit just 28% from outside.
– Get Duke to the line. Syracuse has to slow this to a crawl, stay close, stay alive, force a ton of mistakes, and hope the Blue Devils are missing their free throws. They’re only hitting 67% on the year.
– Duke has to get out on a quick early run, and it will. The Orange have to keep this game in the low-70s to have a shot, but good luck with that against a Blue Devil offense that might turn the lights out at halftime. So far, Syracuse is 1-2 against currently ranked teams, and got blown out in the two losses. This will be another, but it will keep Duke well under its 90 point average.
Fearless Prediction & Line
Duke 77, Syracuse 63
Line: Duke -16.5, o/u: 145
ATS Confidence: 2
5: True Detective: Season 3
1: Holmes and Watson