The final thoughts, a few predictions, and some investment advice for the Military, Hyundai Sun, Redbox, AutoZone Liberty, San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday and TaxSlayer Gator bowls to make your life a heck of a lot better than it currently is.
– Contact/Follow @PeteFiutak
It’s a wee bit anti-climactic after the College Football Playoff games have been played, but okay.
This is all just for spits, giggles, and entertainment purposes only. However, just in case you dabble …
Monday, December 31st
12:00, ESPN, Navy-Marine Corps. Stadium, Annapolis, MD
Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
– No pressure, Virginia Tech, but don’t be that team that loses to the Group of Fiver today.
– Elitism time, and it’s the same mindset that picked Duke over Temple, just because it was Power Five over Group of Five. Cincinnati is good, but it’s still Virginia Tech. If the Hokies play like they did to get here, they’ve got this.
– Cincinnati’s best win this year? Ohio? UCLA sort of counts, but that was the season opener and the Bruins wee a hot mess out of the gate. The top three wins were probably UCLA, USF, Ohio. Virginia Tech beat Virginia, Florida State, and Duke.
– Will the Virginia Tech defense show up? A puzzling disaster for way too many games, it should be just good enough to keep this under the 53. It’s scary – considering three of the last four Hokie games obliterated the mark – and six of the last nine Bearcat games went over 53. This just feels like either a low-scoring under, or a clunker on one side.
– For what it’s worth, Cincinnati has won its last three bowl games going back to 2012. Virginia Tech lost last year’s Camping World to Oklahoma State, but won four of its previous five, including the 2014 Military over Cincinnati. It also won the 2009 Orange over the Bearcats. And …
– Virginia Tech will win. You’re getting 6.5 for your troubles, and you’re of course going to take the free dough with The Hokies at +210 on the money line.