1. Replacement Coaches: The grass won’t be greener … this year
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tom Herman will be great for Texas, But the only difference between what he did in 2017 regular season and what Charlie Strong did in 2016 was a win over Kansas. Meanwhile, Herman’s former team – Houston – won just as many games as the Longhorns.
PJ Fleck had to try rebuilding Minnesota, but he only won five games. The Western Michigan program he left won six.
Matt Rhule left Temple for Baylor, beat Kansas, and no one else. Rhule’s former Owl team won seven games and took down FIU in the Gasparilla Bowl.
Fans always stress and freak out when they lose a fantastic head coaching prospect, and the ones who get the new, high-priced star always get fired up to get a new attitude and a new hope that something is about to change.
Granted, it sometimes takes a few years to turn a program around – which is usually why there’s a new head coach in the first place – but …
– SMU will win more games this year under Sonny Dykes than Arkansas will win under former Mustang head man Chad Morris.
– UCF will win more games this year under Josh Heupel than Nebraska will win under former Knight head man Scott Frost, and …
– Arizona will win more games this year under Kevin Sumlin than Texas A&M will win under former Seminole head man Jimbo Fisher.
I won’t go there saying Oregon will win more under Mario Cristobal than Florida State will win under Willie Taggart, but the Noles will probably win more games than the Aggies will under Jimbo.
I also won’t dive in on the idea that Mississippi State will win more with Joe Moorhead than Florida will with Dan Mullen. However, don’t expect the Bulldogs to slip – Moorhead will be wonderful and the offense will be amazing.
But at least all of these coaches will be really, really, really well paid. They’re all winners.
18 for ’18 Offseason Topics
18: Power 5 Coach Hot Seat Rankings
17: Power 5 Projected Win Totals & Swing Games
16. Best Longshot National Championship Teams
15. Group of 5 vs. Power 5 Upset Alerts
14. Every Power Five Team’s Letdown Game
13. Breakout QBs You Need To Know
12. Already Great Players About To Explode
11. Every Power Five’s Sleeper Team
10. Five Key Returning Injured Stars
9. Top Make Or Break QB Battles