Aztecs announce starting lineup and backups for season opener.
Aztecs look ready for their home opener against UC Davis next Saturday.
How far can the Aztecs go this season?
San Diego State will kick off the 2017-18 football season at home against UC Davis on Sept. 2nd. Recently, the Aztecs finalized their starting lineup and second string for their home opener next Saturday.
Here is a summary of the announcements made by head coach Rocky Long:
- Long announced that 6-foot sophomore, Ryan Agnew, will be the backup to Christian Chapman, despite the competition from Rutgers graduate transfer Chris Laviano.
- The Aztecs have redshirt freshmen, Isiah Macklin and Tim Wilson, ahead of seniors Mikah Holder and Quest Truxton at wide receiver. Last season, Holder finished with 27 catches for 581 yards, and Truxton had 11 catches for 156 yards.
Long spoke about his decision at wide receiver (via the San Diego Union-Tribune)
“It’s based on performance. The other guys have more experience and you could base it on last year’s performance, but we don’t do that around here. We base it on the performance daily, and those two guys have outperformed the other guys.”
- The only true freshman to land a starting position was safety, Tariq Thompson. However, the Aztecs have three true freshmen – left guard Dominic Gudino, middle linebacker Andrew Aleki, and safety Dareen Hall as backups.
- The Aztecs offensive line will include two redshirt freshmen, Tyler Roemer at left tackle and Keith Ismael at center.
- Redshirt freshman Chase Jasmin is listed as the third running back behind Rashaad Penny and Juwan Washington.
- Sophomore transfer Brandon Heicklen will be the starting punter over Garrett Erickson.
- Senior tight end David Wells and defensive tackle Sergio Phillips are listed as starters but will have to prove they are healthy enough to play. Phillips returns from suffering a concussion and Wells has been hurt with a foot injury that needed surgery.
Here is a list of the Aztecs two-deep roster they will roll out this week during practice:
Starters: Redshirt-Fr. LT Tyler Roemer, So. LG Daishawn Dixon, Redshirt-Fr. C Keith Ismael, Sr. RG Antonio Rosales, Jr. RT Ryan Pope
Backups: Redshirt-Fr. LT Zach Thomas, Fr. LG Dominic Gudino, Jr. C Garrison Young, So. RG Nick Gerhard, Jr. RT Joe Salcedo
Starter: Jr. Chrisitan Chapman
Backups: So. Ryan Agnew, Gr. -TR Chris Laviano
Starters: Sr. TB Rashaad Penny, Sr. FB Nick Bawden
Backups: So. TB Juwan Washington, So. FB Isaac Lessard
Starters: Redshirt-Fr. Isiah Macklin, Redshirt-Fr. Tim Wilson
Backups: Jr. Fred Trevillion or Sr. Mikah Holder, Sr. Quest Truxton or Redshirt Fr. Collin Andrews
Starter: Sr. David Wells
Backup: So. Parker Houston
Starters: Jr. DE Noble Hall, Sr. DT Sergio Phillips, So. DE Myles Cheatum
Backups: Jr. DE Chibu Onyeukwu, Jr. DT Damon Moore Sr. DE Randy Ricks
Starters: So. Troy Cassidy, Sr. MLB Jay Henderson, Jr. Ronley Lakalaka
Backups: Sr. Ryan Dunn or Sr. Tyler Morris, Fr. MLB Andrew Aleki, So. Kyahva Tezino
Starters: So. CB Ron Smith, Fr. S Tariq Thompson, Jr. S Parker Baldwin, Sr. S Trey Lomax, Sr. CB Kameron Kelly
Backups: So. CB Kyree Wood, So. S Trenton Thompson, Redshirt-FR. S Will Stricklin II or Redshirt-Fr. Dwayne Johnson Jr., Fr. S Darren Hall, So. CB Garrett Binkley
Place-kicker/kickoffs: Jr. John Baron II
Backup: So. Garrett Erickson
Punter: So. Brandon Heicklen
Long snapper: Jr. Marc Ellis
Backup: Redshirt-Fr. Turner Bernard
Short snapper: So. SS Parker Houston
Holder: Mikah Holder
Kick returner: Sr. Rashaad Penny
Backup: So. Juwan Washington
Punt returner: Sr. Quest Truxton