2016 CollegeFootballNews.com Midseason Top Sun Belt Players, Coaches, Rankings, Games, Surprise & Disappointments
2016 Sun Belt Midseason Analysis
Sun Belt Midseason Offensive Player
RB Jordan Chunn, Jr. Troy
Several key players are coming through for the Trojans, but it’s Chunn who’s been the key factor with 582 rushing yards and four scores, ripping through Southern Miss for 176 yards and Idaho for 137 yards. The passing game needs a bruiser to fall back on, and he’s it.
Sun Belt Midseason Defensive Player
DE Randy Allen, Sr. South Alabama
The USA defense has been a rock – second in the Sun Belt behind Georgia Southern – and Allen is kicking it in as the top pass rusher making 5.5 sacks with seven tackles for loss along with 23 tackles. He’s been the steady playmaker the D has needed.
Sun Belt Midseason Top 10 Players
1. DE Randy Allen, Sr. South Alabama
2. LB Rodney Butler, Sr. New Mexico State
3. LB Eric Boggs, Jr. Appalachian State
4. RB Jordan Chunn, Jr. Troy
5. QB Brandon Silvers, Jr. Troy
6. S Blace Brown, Soph. Troy
7. TE Gerald Everett, Sr. South Alabama
8. P/PK Austin Rehkow, Sr. Idaho
9. RB Elijah McGuire, Sr. Louisiana-Lafayette
10. TE Blake Mack, Jr. Arkansas State
Sun Belt Midseason Coach Rankings
Who’s done the best job over the first half of the season? Who’s produced the most? Ranking the Sun Belt coaches at the midseason …
1. Neal Brown, Troy
2. Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State
3. Joey Jones, South Alabama
4. Tyson Summers, Georgia Southern
5. Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette
6. Paul Petrino, Idaho
7. Trent Miles, Georgia State
8. Doug Martin, New Mexico State
9. Blake Anderson, Arkansas State
10. Everett Withers, Texas State
11. Matt Viator, ULM
Sun Belt Midseason Best Games
1. Sept. 24, Tulane 41, Louisiana-Lafayette, 39, 4OT
2. Sept. 3rd, Texas State 56, Ohio 54, 3OT
3. Sept. 1st, Tennessee 20, Appalachian State 13, OT
Sun Belt Midseason Best Surprise
Troy. South Alabama is a close second with wins over Mississippi State and San Diego State, but Troy is the leader in the conference at the halfway point with a brilliant defense and the league’s best offense. The Trojans are 4-1 with the only loss a dogfight at Clemson.
Sun Belt Midseason Biggest Disappointment
Arkansas State. Yeah, they beat Georgia Southern, and yeah, they could go on a great run and still win the Sun Belt title. However, at the midseason, the Red Wolves haven’t shown up on offense, and the 1-4 record – including a loss to Central Arkansas – has been a disaster.
Sun Belt Midseason – We Were Right On …
Idaho. There’s still a lot of work to do, but the preseason call was for the Vandals to step up and become a major factor in the Sun Belt with a chip on its shoulder and a veteran team built up under head coach Paul Petrino. At 3-3, the Vandals are actually in bowl range.
Sun Belt Midseason – We Were Wrong On …
South Alabama. This was supposed to be a total rebuild of a season, and it sort of is, but that didn’t matter in the opener against Mississippi State and with the stunning win over San Diego State. The Jaguars are at 3-2 with a real, live shot at getting to a bowl.